.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rafa's Corner of Nonsense

Hello to all who, for lack of a better thing to do, have stumbled onto my blog. :-) Here you can expect moments of nonsense, moments of ramblings, moments of "oh sh1t, Rafa's on his soapbox, everybody down!", moments of introspection, moments of wisdom, and, of yeah, moments of absolute nonsense. :-) Enjoy!

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Farewell to Clippy!

Before diving into my current rant, let me just say that I know I've been a lazy-ass lately and have neglected my blog. To my surprise, two of my friends (César and Omar) had apparently checked it a few times and have egged me on to write some more, so thanks for the support, guys. :-)

Now, on to the rant!

If you have ever used Word 97, you have met Clippy. Here, in all his glory, is Clippy:



Clippy is a creepy, anthropomorphic animated paperclip (get it? paperCLIP -> Clippy? Oh! These geniuses at Microsoft, hollowed be their name!). Clippy's job is to annoy the fuck out of you when you type, and pop up every once in a while and make inane remarks and suggestions about what you're typing (à la "I see you are writing a letter to your baby's mama! Do you want me to help you find nice ways of saying: Try and prove the baby's mine, bitch!?").

Even more unsettling was his lecherous leer and his suggestive wink, as though he were suavely saying in a thick, Banderas-like accent: "Oh, I can fix that for you. I can fix that for you gooood." I'm sorry, but I prefer less innuendo from my office assistants.

Anyway, an article I read states that Clippy will not be on by default starting in Office XP. There were even some animations (voiced by Gilbert Gottfreid) depicting Clippy's post-Word life, and a poll as to what he should do next. Personally, I think Clippy should be unbent and used for lock-picking, or at the very least, used to burst pus-filled boils; I'd be happy either way!

What do you think should happen to Clippy?

1 Comments:

Blogger Omar said...

I felt compelled to post a comment since I insisted on you updating your blog. I found this posting rather entertaining (read: I laughed). Clippy is the bane of using MS Office. As if using Word was not sufficiently excruciating in itself, you have an annoying popup that removes focus from whatever you are typing. I suggest a newsgroup: alt.officeassistants.clippy.die.die.die.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home