.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rafa's Corner of Nonsense

Hello to all who, for lack of a better thing to do, have stumbled onto my blog. :-) Here you can expect moments of nonsense, moments of ramblings, moments of "oh sh1t, Rafa's on his soapbox, everybody down!", moments of introspection, moments of wisdom, and, of yeah, moments of absolute nonsense. :-) Enjoy!

Sunday, October 24, 2004

I just voted!

I just came back from voting. The supermarket where I thought they had early voting polling stations did not have any (actually, one of their employees told me she herself had heard radio commercials saying there would be voting stations there, too, but their manager had told them that wasn't so: democracy and bureaucracy working together again)! So, I ended up voting at Home Depot. Not exactly poetic, but hey, whatever.

So, the process itself was ridiculously simple, so simple in fact that even a Florida voter would not have been able to fuck it up. Everything took place on a computer screen (which looked touch-screen but wasn't, and it was fortunate that someone explained the process to me before beginning because otherwise I would have quickly started feeling quite disenfranchised had I thought they had given me a booth with a faulty touch-screen!); there was a scroll wheel that you rolled around to change the current selection (kind of like an iPod, but more democratic), and a button you pushed to go to the next screen.

You could vote straight down party lines or choose exactly the candidates you wanted, even for some positions that I didn't even know existed and suspect are made-up, like County Commissioner, Constable, County Tax Assessor, and Bejeweled High Priestess of the Gjórì Nôoku Order (although I might be wrong about that last one). At the end of the process it reviewed whom you chose for each position (even the ones I suspect are fake), and you hit a button that said "Submit Ballot" (Note for Florida voters: that button would submit your ballot), and voilà! (Note for Florida votes: "voilà" means roughly "that's it").

All in all, it was definitely worth the 5 minutes it took to vote. :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Omar said...

Congratulations!

The main purpose of voting is to have an "Election Day." But what is the point if such day is not designated as a holiday? ;-) I know I am taking my whole hour to "vote."

1:44 PM  
Blogger El Rata said...

Hehehe... and here I thought the point of voting was to elect people into different positions! ;-) Plus, "Election Day" is not a holiday (although it should be, as many a great man was born on a Tuesday, November 2nd). ;-)

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home