.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rafa's Corner of Nonsense

Hello to all who, for lack of a better thing to do, have stumbled onto my blog. :-) Here you can expect moments of nonsense, moments of ramblings, moments of "oh sh1t, Rafa's on his soapbox, everybody down!", moments of introspection, moments of wisdom, and, of yeah, moments of absolute nonsense. :-) Enjoy!

Sunday, October 24, 2004

I'm about to vote!

I am about to leave to go vote, to exercise that inalienable right we all have that is utterly important for our country; well, no, not necessarily, at least not where I live.

See, in Texas, thanks to the ever-so-clever electoral college system, voting is a waste of time and money. One party always has a majority of the vote; so, if you vote for the majority party, your unnecessary vote will not help your candidate win another swing state where he actually needs your vote, and if you vote for the minority party, your insufficient vote will not be enough to win your candidate your state's electoral votes.

Still, it's not like I would be curing cancer if I stay at home; plus, I am going to vote at a supermarket and I needed some milk anyway, so what the hey!

I have decided to go alone because of the people I would have gone with are rabidly political, whereas I am more neutral and am doing it mostly because I had never voted here before and wanted to see what the process was like (would I have to deal with pregnant chads, pulling levers, using a touch-screen, make my mark with goat's blood, or what have you).

One of the reasons I wanted to go alone was I really hate when people ask you: "Who did you vote for?". For starters, it's "Whom did you vote for?", but I guess that's neither here nor there (which makes me wonder where the fuck it is, after all). Anyhoo, I feel it's like being in a store's dressing room and asking the guy in the stall next to you what his waist size is: true, it's not like it's a state secret whose violation will cost thousands of lives, but still, really, it's none of your fucking business. Finally, what's the point of having a secret ballot voting system if you're gonna be telling everyone whom you voted for, right?

I may decide to rant some more about politics after I'm done voting. Wish me luck! ;-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Omar said...

Whom did you vote for? ;-) I did not know one could vote before Election Day. Either that or I missed Election Day completely.

1:40 PM  
Blogger El Rata said...

Hi Omar! By the way, I just love what you've done with your blog. It has a certain... quiet beauty about it. ;-)

So, yeah, I think early voting is not being done in all states: maybe it's just too damn cold in Minnesota to set up voting booths for more than one day? (Sorry: I hadn't played the "weather card" in a long time and I felt compelled to, even if it didn't actually make much sense). ;-)

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense to distribute the voting among several days; the lines are shorter, more people have the chance to vote, and there is less of a chance that a terrorist attack can disrupt the voting process.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Mr. Hand said...

Actually, shouldn't it be, "For whom did you vote?" so you don't end the sentence with a preposition? Alternatively you could say, "Whom did you vote for, bitch?" which accomplishes the same goal.

Nice blog. Good reads.

10:41 AM  
Blogger El Rata said...

Hey Mr. Hand, thanks for the visit and the nice words. Yes, I guess in the strict sense "For whom did you vote?" is the more correct way of saying it, but that kind of extreme grammatical correctness is something up with which I will not put. ;-)

Y'all come back now, ya hear? :-)

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home