.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rafa's Corner of Nonsense

Hello to all who, for lack of a better thing to do, have stumbled onto my blog. :-) Here you can expect moments of nonsense, moments of ramblings, moments of "oh sh1t, Rafa's on his soapbox, everybody down!", moments of introspection, moments of wisdom, and, of yeah, moments of absolute nonsense. :-) Enjoy!

Sunday, March 06, 2005

News break, wine-drinkers: wine's just rancid grape juice!

I've never quite understood the fascination some people have with wine. If some extraterrestrial came down from the skies from their home planet, Fernobulax Prime, and you had to explain to him what wine was, you'd be hard-pressed to say anything that doesn't boil down to "it's rancid grape juice." Of course, Fernobulaxian's grasp of English is tenuous at best, and they get testy pretty quickly when they try to understand something and cannot, so I'd recommend avoiding this situation altogether.

But I digress. My point is, what's so damn special about spoiled grape juice, where there are people who study wines for a living and make it sound like it's such an important thing, and who come up with annoyingly hoity-toity terms to describe it, such as "earthy" or "fruity" (whereas only one adjective, "rancidy," is actually accurate, even if the word doesn't actually exist).

I guess the answer is that people are sheep. Someone in olden times (where they didn't have refrigeration and drinking rancid juice was just a normal occurrence) decided that this wasn't spoiled grape juice, mais non, Monsieur! (I've decided this person was French, and I defy you to contradict me): this was WINE! Nectar of the Gods! Heavenly ambrosia suckled from Mother Nature's liquor-engorged teats! Succulent spirit that makes you gently caress the face of angels! Rancid grape juice! Sorry, what? Too much truth on that last one? My bad!

The point is that once people got it into their heads that drinking old grape juice was not disgusting, but actually chic, then everybody started doing it to feel cool, to belong to the élite who drinks something they would have thrown out of their fridge if they didn't have a whole culture dedicated to savoring it instead. I mean, really folks: one-month old grape juice? Disgusting and trash-bound! Decades-old grape juice? Delicious and veneration-worthy! Baaaaah!

My question is, why grape juice? Can't you pretty much ferment any juice, make it alcoholic and get it to taste like ass? I will now try to see if I can get enough idiots to start drinking spoiled mango juice: I'll just give it a snobby-sounding French name, such as "manginé," say I've been aging it for decades in barrels made of wood from Noah's Ark, and that instead of tasting "fruity" or "earthy" people should notice it tastes "pious," or "religiousy" (and you'd be surprised how many people would start using those very same adjectives to describe it, too!).

You know what would make my day? If someone came up and announced to the world that this whole wine-drinking thing had been a giant practical joke, cooked up by those feisty Romans thousands of years ago, and that all wines in the world are just Welch's grape juice left out of the fridge for a month. White wine? They just added some water! Rosé wine? They added some water AND some red coloring #11! Yup: you are all ignorant, pompous asses, and nothing more than sheep for declaring which wine went best with which food or which wine should be drunk in what season of the year. It's all spoiled Welch's grape juice, morons! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

What say you? Are there any wine-lovers in the hizzouse? If there are, I must inform you that giving me money is chic and all the cool people are doing it... and you wouldn't want to be "uncool" and not give me money, would you?! ;-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cleverly written. congrats on making it top of google list when searching for wine as spoiled grape juice.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, wow, I didn't know I'd made it to the top when searching for "wine as spoiled grape juice"! That kinda made my day. :-)

Thanks for the compliments, and for the good news, too! ;-)

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home