.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rafa's Corner of Nonsense

Hello to all who, for lack of a better thing to do, have stumbled onto my blog. :-) Here you can expect moments of nonsense, moments of ramblings, moments of "oh sh1t, Rafa's on his soapbox, everybody down!", moments of introspection, moments of wisdom, and, of yeah, moments of absolute nonsense. :-) Enjoy!

Saturday, March 05, 2005

New term: "The Booger Argument"

I've always wanted to coin a turn of phrase. I envy the guys who made up the site for "jump the shark" and turned the phrase into a well-known reference being used by people who probably have no idea of its inception.

To wit, I offer up a phrase I invented, which I shall then proceed to explain and give its origin.

Presenting:

booger argument: n. something said during the course of a discussion which is so ridiculous that it is evident it is pointless to continue arguing with that person

I shall now give the etymology of this phrase:

I had caught my sister picking her nose and then happily proceed to bite the nail of the same finger she picked her nose with: I called her on it, and told her that was gross. My sister is loathe to concede defeat, so obviously she started arguing with me, asking me what was the big deal. I pointed out the rather obvious fact that boogers are dirty, and thus she could get sick. She then proceeded to shock me with what will henceforth be known as the booger argument: she said that even though I didn't eat my boogers when I was little and she did, I got a lot more strep throats in my youth and she didn't, so maybe eating boogers boosted her immune system and that's why she didn't get sick so often.

Yes: in order to win an argument, my Cornell-graduate, law-student sister actually advocated the eating of boogers. At that point I just held up my hands and said: "You know what? I can't argue with someone who has said something like that. So you win."

That, my friends, is a booger argument.

Please feel free to look for other "booger arguments" in your daily life, and if you find any, please post a reply to this post and share the wealth! :-)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eww! That is just disgusting, tell her to atleast get a tissue or wash her hands first...

6:03 AM  
Blogger El Rata said...

I tried, my friend, I tried... but once the booger argument was unfurled, it became clear that reason would not prevail! :-D

7:42 AM  
Blogger César said...

Well, I have one I think. I will keep the identity of the individual confidential.

I was having this conversation with one of those *really christian* guys, and somehow the conversation shifted to the veracity of The Bible. So we are arguing about the rapture and stuff, and I start arguing that if the Bible could be proven wrong on just one thing then the whole religion thing would go down in ashes.

So, I argued the following:

-Cesar: So, do you agree with the statement that Man is God's greatest creation, created on His image.The Bible says so no?

-Friend: Yes.

-Cesar: For argument's sake, let's say that all of a sudden UFO's show up in the sky. They land, come out and reveal themselves to us as beings from other galaxy, far more advanced, far more intelligent, and their own set of religious beliefs. Obviously Man is no longer the universe's greatest being. What would you do?

-Friend: Even if I saw it I would not believe that the Bible was wrong.

-Cesar: -stunned silence-

-Friend: The Bible says clearly that there will be false prophets. During the tribulation, the Devil will try to confuse us. That's how I would interpret that. So no, even if advanced beings showed up, I would not even consier the Bible is wrong.

And that my friend, I believe is a Booger Argument. Am I right or am I right? :-P

11:16 AM  
Blogger El Rata said...

Yes, César, that's a classic example of a booger argument. Once your friend said that even if he saw the extraterrestrials he still wouldn't believe it, you should have thrown up your hands in defeat and said: "Ok, dude, you know what? I can't argue anything logical after that: you win."

Thanks for the very à propos contribution to the subject: I knew you wouldn't let me down. :-D

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone is not getting a Christmas gift...
-The Sister

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still not going to eat my boogers.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Omar said...

A coworker told me about a discussion that involved what I believe is a great example of a booger argument. It went something like this:

-Man: I think the company should not hire Spanish speakers because it is illegal and hurts the country.

-Coworker: You are confusing illegal aliens with Spanish speaking people.

-Man: All the illegal aliens I know speak Spanish. The company hires them because they are cheap labor.

My coworker wishes she knew about the booger argument beforehand.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home