.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rafa's Corner of Nonsense

Hello to all who, for lack of a better thing to do, have stumbled onto my blog. :-) Here you can expect moments of nonsense, moments of ramblings, moments of "oh sh1t, Rafa's on his soapbox, everybody down!", moments of introspection, moments of wisdom, and, of yeah, moments of absolute nonsense. :-) Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

More on the wine rant...

I forgot to add, amidst all the rantiness of my previous post, that I don't hate wine in and of itself; true, I don't like its taste, but then I'm not ranting against olive juice or some other decidedly repugnant drink I don't like but that other (not-quite-as-sane) people do like.

What I dislike is the cult towards wine in our society, the way something which is nothing more than a drink has been elevated to some élite status, to where it's a symbol of style and sophistication. What's the big deal about wine in particular?

I also hate how it seems impossible to have any kind of "romantic interlude" without involving either wine or champagne (which is nothing more than wine with soda farts floating in it). Who was the pompous lush who decided that for it to be romantic it must involve spoiled grape juice in some form?

So again, my rant is not due to the fact that I personally dislike wine. For instance, I like coffee; however, the way some people talk about coffee (where the beans are from, the way they're ground, the process of making the coffee, the things they add to the coffee), they make it seem as though it's rocket science and makes me want to bash in their heads with a big ceramic mug and then just blame it on a caffeine overdose. It's just coffee, people!

Follow along if you can:

Coffee beans + boiling water = coffee

Just like:

Grape juice + lack of refrigeration = wine

Drink up if you want, wine lovers, but really, get over yourselves!

7 Comments:

Blogger SeangSTM said...

My GOD you're a whiny little bitch. LOL ;)

Ah, I know what you're saying - although I do love wine. The thing is, the cheaper the better and the bouquet doesn't interest me. :P

9:28 AM  
Blogger SeangSTM said...

WINE IS DANGEROUS!!!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Andy's Ego said...

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine? :-P

Wine is tasty. Why not rant about ripe cheeses? (I think they're tasty, too.)

10:58 PM  
Blogger Andy's Ego said...

Okay, so if you don't take pleasure from the finer points of tasty comestibles, that's fine. Why berate?

11:00 PM  
Blogger El Rata said...

Wow, few posts have struck as many chords as this one and the one about eating human flesh. :-)

It's funny you mention cheese, Andy-Meister, since it, too, gets much more attention than a moldy milk by-product deserves.

But come on, you know this: nothing gets more unnecessary attention than wine! There are specific ways of shaping the wine glass so it "keeps the bouquet inside," ways of grabbing the wine glass when drinking so as not to warm it up, a right temperature and humidity to store the wine... why people have spent so much time and energy researching all these aspects to what is nothing more than a drink is unfathomable to me, regardless of how tasty one might deem it.

I like chocolate milk, for instance, and you know what I do with it? I drink it! I don't write books about it or have university courses teaching you to distinguish the different brands of chocolate milk! :-D

11:19 PM  
Blogger Andy's Ego said...

Is there nothing on Earth you appreciate enough to devote some effort to the pursuit of its most perfected forms?

6:47 AM  
Blogger El Rata said...

There are quite many things I really really enjoy (like chocolate, and bacon), but I gotta tell you, I don't think any of them warrant the construction of some elitist place in our society.

I realize likes and dislikes are personal and not a choice, so people who like wine, regardless of how elevated they think their palates are, are not more responsible for liking it than I am responsible for not liking it (and this goes, of course, for anything else).

So worry not: if I get made Emperor of the Earth, I shall not make it a social imperative to worship bacon and chocolate... and you'd still be able to enjoy rancid grape juice if that is your wont. :-D

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home